Tea-rrific Topic #2: Genre Dilemmas


When I started this book blog, it has always been YA books that I read. Particularly those that fall under science fiction, dystopian, utopian, fantasy, paranormal, and other out of this world genres.

I had developed a vast imagination on non human creatures and typically, I learned every single thing about them through cross referencing on the internet. What I loved most are books about vampires and werewolves. It's like no creature could get any hotter than Damon Salvatore and Jacob Black. I have always swooned over these guys when I first met them at the books. They triggered my love for paranormal books and I didn't regret that.

Since then, I always buy books about them. I read a lot of good books and enjoyed reviewing them on my blog. I was even sometimes lost of words to justify the goodness of a book. Then I was introduced to The Hunger Games. Unfortunately, I didn't fall for any of the guys (Gale Hawthorn and Peeta Mellark). Instead, I fell inlove with the heroin, Katniss Everdeen. A year later, I discovered Divergent and I couldn't get enough of the story, as well as the Dauntless characters of Four and Tris. Badass heroins were always the best!

But now, I am so sad to admit that I think they're not my cup of tea anymore. I don't know what happened. I recently became interested into reading Contemporary novels because they're more realistic and easier to relate to. These past few weeks, I chose to pick up light reads. Maybe this is because of so much stress college gave me, that I can't get my brain to work on extraordinary and futuristic imaginations. 

I'm not saying that I won't read books that fall under those genres anymore. I guess I need to take a break from reading those kinds of books. Anyway, I'd still be posting reviews of books about them, books I have read before I suffered this reading problem. Expect book reviews of the following YA titles:
  • Ignite Me (Shatter Me #3) by Tahereh Mafi
  • White Hot Kiss (The Dark Elements #3) by Jennifer L. Armentrout
  • Hush, Hush (Hush, Hush #1) by Becca Fitzpatrick
Maybe one day I'd wake up and realize that I miss them. That I miss bloody nights with a vampire, howls of a wolf, magical dusts of fairies, enchantments of witches,  fallen angels, and more badass heroes and heroins. 

So, Are you experiencing genre dilemmas too? Tell me about it! By the way, what contemporary novel would you like to recommend for me to read? Comment them below! :)




algelsignature

4 comments :

  1. I think it's alright to experience genre dilemmas because they're a sign that you're growing or maturing as a reader. I used to like paranormal and fantasy books too but now? Not so much.

    Great topic! Can't wait to see more :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope I'd get over this soon! I have a lot of paranormal and fantasy books on my TBR pile...

      Delete
  2. Same here! But I had this before you. I had it right around when I started blogging. It makes me sad that I find it hard to read other genres other than contemporary, but I'm hoping that I would like them again soon too!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think! :)