RECAP: E. LOCKHART IN MANILA

Cheers to the first book signing I attended this year! I feel so sad I wasn't able to meet James Frey last month, so I won't be missing out any of the future events! I swear!


I was so mad that I had to wake up so early last Sunday just to go to this event. I mean, I hate this author so much. I even DNFed We Were Liars because ugh the writing is so bad and ugly and nonsense! It's like, the WORST book ever! how can this book be a NewYork Times Bestseller?!!

KIDDING! OKAY. I LIED. I'M SORRY. I'M A LIAR. YOU'RE A LIAR. WE ARE ALL LIARS. SO WHAT'S THE BIG DEAL? HUH?

We Were Liars, I admit, is the first E. Lockhart book I read. BUT I absolutely loved how PAINFUL it is. Yes, it's painful. It hurts so much and meeting the woman behind this pain is such a great opportunity that the National Book Store family gave us. I can't thank you enough, NBS! I love you so much it hurts. LOL

Photo grabbed from Kate of The Bookaholic Blurbs
I got the chance to ask E. Lockhart, or Emily Lockhart, the following question:

"What brought you the idea to write We Were Liars?"

In which she answered,

Photo grabbed from Louisse of The Soul Sisters
"Well I can give another answer. I mean, all that stuff that I said before is true. But, I think when I'm looking at an idea for a story, one question I ask myself is you know, where are the universal emotions in this because, I like to write unusual characters who have an unusual voice or way of thinking. But I also always need to find some points of connection between those unusual characters and other people's lives, human experience. So, in We Were Liars, one of the things I wanted to write about that you know, so far, I've really been calling real estate. But real estate is not really it. It's families fighting over property, and grown children fighting over parental love and approval, and younger kids in the family hearing older people fight and feeling powerless and angry about the way the grown ups are conducting themselves. So, that is an experience that I had and I that I think most young people have had. Right? You know, some families fight everyday, some families fight, you know, only on Christmas. But all families fight, all kids feel threatened when the grown ups in their lives are threathening to dissolve or implode or whatever they're gonna do. So, that was one of my subjects and that's you know,  that I carried all the way through from that initial idea about the island and what would it mean to those people in that family is a way of kind of heightening into a kind of, you know, hear the things they are fighting over are big. Big bank accounts, whole islands, whole houses, you know, jewelry, expensive stuff, but all families fight over property and the affection that it symbolizes."

E. Lockhart and I!
Group picture!Thanks Kate for capturing this! We all look so pretty!
Pinoy Book Tours bloggers with E. Lockhart
After the forum, we took out lunch and headed to National Book Store for the book signing event for the public. While waiting for Lockhart to arrive at the venue, I took the opportunity to interview a few readers about the BIGGEST LIE they've said or heard. Read their responses below!

(Note: The posted pictures below were granted permission from the persons involved.)

L-R: Kevin, Danica and Dianne (I missed the other D!)
"There's this one time, during high school, when I had to hide my school report card from my parents because of a low grade."
- Kevin (@tomebound)

"My parents chose my course for college. And when they asked me if it's okay for me, I said YES. I totally regret it."
- Danica (@justsoyunho)

"Once, I told my parents I'd be going out with my friends. But the truth is, I went out with my boyfriend."
- Dianne (@dcmarssh)

The pretty Kath! Her sister was shy so I asked her instead! :D
 "When I told my friends I was fine when I really wasn't."
- Kath (@kathryna_lopez)

Kim (His answer is just so... painful)
 "Biggest lie? When he said he loved me but the truth is, he didn't."
- Kim (@somethingabtkim)

Thank you very much guys. I'm glad I met you! See you next book signing? I think it'll be on June. Ohhh. Two long months of waiting... better save money for the upcoming events because I tell you guys, the next authors to visit us here are all great and some of them were my favorites! As much as I want to tell you, it's so sad I can't give you a hint on who they are. So, watch out for National Book Store's announcements!

A few moments after my interview, the crowd started making noise which means that the special guest already arrived! The fans were very ecstatic when they saw her. I felt the crowd's happiness especially those who absolutely loved her books!



You can watch E. Lockhart's message for her Filipino fans below:


Thank you so much and congratulations for the success of this event, National Book Store. You spoil our hearts! More events to come!

algelsignature

6 comments :

  1. Wonderful post! <3
    Hopefully I can attend book signings in the future :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THE FEATURE AND FOR HANGING OUT WITH US AT THE EVENT! See you in the June signing! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the interviews! The last one is just, ugh, bullet through the heart. I've actually been avoiding We Were Liars haha, but I'm glad that the event went well. I can't wait to go to the next event :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW, I KNOW *pats yer shoulders* I hope we'd meet soon and hangout! :)

      Delete

Let me know what you think! :)