Book review: GRISHMA by Kelly Anne Blount

Title: Grishma

Book blurb:
In the world of Necoh, everyone fears Grishma, a hideous murderous beast responsible for ruining or ending the lives of anyone who dare cross her.

As a young boy, Ryder lived with his family, deep in the caves underneath the Kadin Forest, unaware of the horrors of the world. His simple world was turned upside down one horrible night when Grishma attacked his family, killing his father and kidnapping his mother and younger sister.

From that night on, Ryder devoted his life to killing Grishma. He tracked the monster from Necoh, to our world, and back again. Unfortunately, during his quest, he accidentally transported Brooklyn, a high school junior into his tumultuous world, where she is mistakenly identified as Princess Sophie, the missing princess of Sumner.

Days after Princess Sophie’s return, Grishma plots and manipulates the King into drugging and marrying off his only daughter to Prince Algid of Dratun. Desperate to save Brooklyn, who now believes she is the long lost princess, his mother, and his little sister, Ryder embarks on the deadliest part of his quest.

Will he save Brooklyn? Will she ever regain her memory? What will become of his mother and sister?

Through epic adventure, loss, and love, GRISHMA depicts the strength of the human spirit and the tight bonds formed by the unique creatures of Necoh.


MY REVIEW

Before, I thought I'm already too old for fairytales. But Grishma proved me wrong. Fairytales can never be for young readers only. Grishma is an extraordinary tale of adventures in the extraordinary world of Necoh which is filled of extraordinary creatures. (Too much extraordinary, eh?)

Kelly Anne Blount did a great debut through this YA fantasy novel. I enjoyed the adventures of Ryder and Brooklyn, together with their Necohian friends. There were just some parts in the story that left me with questions like how and why Grishma came to Earth in the first place. I also admit that I quite had a heart time memorizing the names of the other Necohians. (I told you, they were extraordinarily different!)

I love how Ryder did everything to find his mother and sister, and never gave up also on finding Brooklyn. Although his main objective is to seek for revenge, this doesn't hinder him from being nice and friendly enough to gain new friends and companions in finding his loved ones. Brooklyn, on the other hand, I can say that she must be the bravest girl I ever met in a fairytale. Imagine how she was able to escape Grishma and that Nalun! I love her character, the way she dealt with all the creatures and everything that's happening to her, she indeed thinks very fast.

I also love Ryder's Necohian friends. I think some of them were funny and did a great part in balancing the mood of the story. I imagine them as cute weird animal looking creatures who can talk and act like humans. There are so many twists and turns in the story, making it a fun-filled action adventure taking the readers with every step of the characters.

I'm definitely waiting for the next book, hoping for more explanation on some parts especially on how Princess Sophie disappeared then suddenly showed up again.



My Rating:



algelsignature

2 comments :

  1. It's been a long time since I read a book like this. I'm lovin' the sound of this so far so I'll give it a shot!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think! :)